Thursday 20 February 2014

L.O.V.E.S.U.C.K.S.

I’d like to take you on a journey now – I was thinking today, and I spend way too much of my time stuck in some form of heartbreak and/or unrequited love. It sucks. And although I can’t stop feeling the way I feel about whoever for whatever reason, I can comfort myself with some music. Below are some tracks in a specific order according to how I respond to a broken heart. Cheesy I hear you say? Yes, well I am a cheesy person so get used to it.

Rudi - Ripped in Two (c.1980)
First one: oldie, but goodie from Rudi. Better than goodie – it’s a fucking goldie. This one is the calm before the storm; that old-school Belfast punk to lighten a heavy heart, if only for two short minutes. The title pretty much speaks for itself – I often find myself belting the words that give the song its name: “Baby, you've got me baby. You've got me ripped, you've got me torn, you've got me ripped in two. Cos I love you!” So at least this way, having a broken heart is kind of punk rock. Very cool. 

Yes Cadets - Le Mans (2012)
The next one courtesy of Yes Cadets, is the one which, usually, has me in tears. However, it’s a stunning indie record – the harmonious vocals sensually blend with the almost tribal drum rhythms and echoing guitars. The one simple riff, just lightly dabbled with reverb, is sweetly hypnotic. I've always liked the intimacy of this song, despite the indication of long distance; “It was never over... So cry the chlorine from your eyes, I’ll fall asleep between your thighs. I’m only twenty four hours, a thousand miles away...” The melody alone spills out a lot of emotion, so naturally, I spill my emotions out to the melody. 

Mojo Fury - All in Awe (2013)
The storm by this stage has sort of now passed – and our finale is presented by Mojo Fury (ironically, one of the lines in the song is “...you can start to rearrange the debris from the storm...” which, in a metaphorical sense, I guess I do.) There’s just something about this song that has always reminded me of a movie scene: It begins with trench coat-wearing attractive young woman streamlining the streets of New York in the rain (corresponding with the beginning of the song; the soft tones of frontman Mike Mormecha’s voice ringing smoothly with the piano and those moody drum beats), she’s contemplating life by the first haunting chorus  and she thinks that she has lost the love of her life (for whatever reason) – but by the final chorus, where the song has built up to this climactic event - she turns around to see the love of her life standing in the rain with a look of pure love and adoration. As the chorus repeats itself, the pair run to each other, soaked to the skin and embrace. Roll credits. I don’t know why, but thinking about this calms me.


So yes, that was my guide on how to survive heartache, and how to write a blockbuster film featuring Mojo Fury. Until tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment